Friday, October 18, 2013

Reach out and touch them, part two

Having made a bit of an epic out of finishing the excellent Crooked Dice Heavy Machine Gun team, here are two pictures of them in action.

The figures are supplied with Fritz style helmets, but to fit in with my UNIT, I used the Fighting Men heads.

I have another two to finish, probably one with Westwind British heads in steel helmets.

It is only a sniffle...

Having fought with the finishing of a Crooked Dice Heavy Machine Gun support team (my problem, not the figures'), I thought that finishing off one of the Demons of Nurgle would be a simple victory of sorts.

So here is the first of Legion.

The figures are multi part plastic kits with minimum flash and moulding marks.

So after a spray undercoat of GW Chaos black, I used GW Nurgling Green for the body. The gory bits were then filled in with GW Mechrite Red. The sword was cleaned up with Vallejo Black.

The whole thing (gory bits and all) were then washed with GW Drakenhof Nightshade. This provided a grubby shading for the whole figure and dark shading for the gory bits.

The large blister/internal organ area on the stomach was then lightened with Army Painter Skeleton bone. All the gory bits were then washed with GW Baal Red. Vallejo Dark sand was then used to highlight the icky blisters. The horn started out with Vallejo Leateher brown lightened with Vallejo Dark Sand (which looks the same as the Army Painter Bone) with a final highlight of Vallejo Buff.

Dark sand and Buff were used for the claws. The eye was filled out with Buff, and when dry Vallejo Red. a White highlight was added at the bottom of the eye.

The sword was dry brushed with Vallejo Black Grey.

This colour scheme looks okay to me, and should not be a problem to finish the rest of the squad, plus the herald.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

For The Greater Good - part four

There has been a conjunction between my camera and the two Crisis suits (there was also an unfortunate conjunction between the Monat suit and the floor which snapped both ankles of the suit).

So after pinning (0.7mm brass rod) the ankles back together here are the pictures.

First up is a Fireknife-7 configuration suit (suit configuration names are from The Guide To Mech Tau)

Next up is a Monat suit.

In the original Codex, it was not made clear that if you had two identical weapons, that they had to be twin linked, so when I built this suit it was designed to have two (not twin linked) fusion blasters.

Now I am undecided between continuing with the original design (Sunforge - TL Fusion Blaster and shield) or a Helios with Plasma Rifle and Fusion Blaster (and shield)

As this suit was designed to have the weapons mounted on the shoulders, there was no room to add the multi tracker allowing shooting with two weapons. Though the multitracker was hardwired (previous Codexes) I wanted a representation on the figure.

Looking at the accessory normally used to represent the multi tracker, I noted that it would also work as a head, so I drilled a hole for a central eye and used plastic rod to make the lens and added the usual two aerials from a standard head to the side.

I also added an unfolded hand, the fingers again made from plastic rod.

I used the same painting technique as the fire warriors.

Next up a Stealth Team and a Piranha.