Saturday, January 25, 2020

BA-3 Heavy Armoured Car by Rubicon

At Warfare in 2019 I bought a number of Rubicon kits, including the recently released BA-3 heavy armoured Car. It is referred to as a "Heavy" armoured car due to its weight rather than due to it being heavily armoured. It does however pack the same turret and gun as the contemporary Soviet T26 light tank.

The kit comes in the traditional Rubicon box.
The kit contains a slide mould body (which eliminates the need for a lot of  assemble of the vehicle body). There is a set of decals including those in use by Finnish and Axis forces.
There is also one sprue that contains the rest of the kit.
I assembled the kit according to the instructions, going for the BA-3 rather than the later BA-6 version.
Most of the assembly used Tamiya extra thin liquid poly (which can just about melt the ABS used by Rubicon) though I did tack pieces together in a few places using Humbrol liquid poly and then add the Tamiya extra thin to make the joint permanent (there is enough polystyrene in the liquid poly to make the surfaces "sticky").
The kit went together well, I did have some problems getting the hull machine gun in place (I drilled out the mounting hole to make it easier).


I undercoated the model with Citadel Chaos Black spray. Unfortunately I had run out of the Humbrol 30 Dark Green spray I normally use for my Soviet vehicles, so ended up brush painting it with Humbrol 30 Acrylic Dark Green.
The Sarissa Russian hut provides some background, while a Bad Squiddo female Soviet soldier provides some scale.






Top views.